Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A Beauty Blogger Nail Tutorial: Ombre Nails

Today was my second attempt to do the ombre (sometimes called gradient) nail effect on my nails. Last night when I went to do the tutorial as I went along for the first time, I used a regular sponge like you would to do dishes with like was recommended in the article that I found on Facebook. I didn't like the way the effect was looking so I tried again today and this is the result.


This particular color combo makes me think of the Southwest


Below is a step by step instructional on how I achieved this look and some pointers that I learned by doing this look and how it will help me out the next time I try to achieve this look.


Step 1: Apply a base coat of your choice. 
This will help with keeping your color last longer on your nails and give the polish something to stick to instead of laying on a smooth nail.

Step 2: Apply a nail polish color all over the nail. Allow to dry completely.
My polish color I used was Aquadelic by China Glaze. I have absolutely loved wearing this color. Its a great spring or summer color, but can also be used differently all year.



Step 3: Take a cosmetic sponge and cut to fit the length and width of your nail.
You can use any sponge you want, but this seemed to work better than a kitchen sponge for me.



 Step 4: Take 2 or more other nail polish colors and apply them to the sponge. The two colors I used were Celebutant & Peach Parfait by Ulta.



Step 5: Press the sponge to the nail to get the color on there. You may have to do a few coats to get it to the desired brightness you want. At certain times I'd do one color at a time to reapply on the sponge and that seemed to help. Also you will have to re-apply polish to the sponge for every nail. When you are done they will look something like this:

Looks kinda sticky icky huh?? This was before I was satisfied with the amount of color on my nails.


Step 6: Apply at least 2 coats of a shiny top coat. This will smooth out the harshness and texture of the nail color and help it give that gradient effect.




Step 7: Take q-tips and nail polish remover and clean the area around the nail to leave your nails looking clean and beautiful!!


One step that you could also add is to apply cuticle oil to your cuticles once your polish has completely dried to help keep your nails looking healthy!


I hope you all enjoyed this look! Please share your thoughts and comments and post a video response on my YouTube page with your ombre nails!!

Until next time,

So long dearies!!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment