Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Clean It Up! My Skincare Routine! A Beauty Blogger Exclusive!

We've finally made it to Wednesday! Happy Hump Day! Spring is in full swing and you know what that means. Summer is just around the corner. I don't know about you, but when summer hits, my skin likes to freak out on me. When the heat and humidity sweeps over my town my skin, and my face especially goes into shock. Which means my skin gets even more oily than it already does, which causes more breakouts. Who likes breakout? Not me! I'm pretty sure you don't either! So at the beginning of the year I decided once and for all I was going to kick my pores into high gear and find the right products that work for my face to help with breakouts, being preventive and make my skin look healthy.  So to do that would require to do some research. 

Like most Americans, I don't have health insurance, and I can't afford to spend a lot of money at a dermatologist. So, I have to do what I can to use over the counter treatments. I first did some research through YouTube. I tried to find videos where people talked about what they did to get clearer skin. I heard about the Clarisonic and similar systems. They looked great! I want to try it one day, but at this point I have not. I'm sure that would be a big help with keeping your skin looking fresh and clean. But I took it a step farther. I tried to see what I could find through blogs, websites, etc. I stumbled upon Web MD. I'm sure you've heard of their site, and probably have looked up information on their site before. I had never though about looking up treatments for acne and such on their website. As always there is a disclaimer on their website that states that their advice on their page should not be substituted for seeing an MD in person. I read about things I already knew about acne, what causes acne and that sort of thing. I won't bore you with what I found on that, if you're interested, check out their page along with many other informational websites. What I did find that was interesting is that they had a "Personal Skin Evaluator" that assesses your skin through a few simple questions and in less than 5 minutes they give you a skin care regimen that is perfect for your skin. 

At first I was very skeptical that this online "questionnaire" could actually help me. I thought it would be just like any stupid little questionnaire or quiz that people put on their web pages, but what I would later find out is astonishing. I took the little questionnaire, and within 5 minutes I had an answer. In the past I would use some off brand acne facial cream wash, usually Equate brand because that's what I could afford. It'd clean my face but it never really seemed to help with clearing blackheads, blemishes, or pimples. According to Web MD, I should have been using a foaming face wash all along. It told me I needed to stay away from those white creams. The light bulb went off in my head! I knew the cream wasn't helping but only thought it was because it was an off brand and maybe they didn't use as good of products in theirs. It also told me I needed to use an exfoliate after using the foaming face wash. Then after the exfoliate, I needed to use an astringent. Followed up by a moisturizer. 




Once I got this information I was still a little skeptical.  I figured I'd go ahead and try it because I had nothing else to lose. If what they said didn't work it wasn't like it'd be a huge loss. I already would use an exfoliate every now and then so at least I was some what on the right path. I went to my local Wal-Mart and started looking at their products. I had always heard good things about Neutrogena and figured I'd give them a try. I found their Acne Stress Control line and tried their power foam wash. I figured stress was part of my acne problems and that maybe this could help. I then bought my usual Equate brand Refreshing Apricot Scrub, which, by the way, works just as good as the St. Ives Invigorating Apricot Scrub. I've tried both and they worked the same so why not spend less money and buy Equate? I then had heard about how Witch Hazel was a natural astringent so I thought it'd be less harmful on my skin so I bought a bottle of that. I had never  bought a moisturizer before and had no idea which one would be good for me. To start off I just bought the Wal-Mart brand oil free moisturizer with SPF 15.  I also from time to time will do a face mask. My favorite one is the Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque!



In a nutshell, I started using these products and saw a dramatic change in my skin. I still get breakouts every now and then but these products do help me. The only product I didn't like was the moisturizer. I am still on the lookout for an inexpensive moisturizer that is oil free and doesn't make your face feel greasy. If anyone could recommend something it is greatly appreciated!! 

If you're interested in taking Web MD's Personal Skin Evaluator, follow this link:
 Web MD's Personal Skin Evaluator

We've made it half way through the week! Can't wait to see what the remainder of the week has in store! 

Until next time, so long dearies!!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment